Schoeps MK 5 Microphone capsule, switchable
The MK 5 offers two selectable directional patterns, but uses only one membrane – a no-compromise approach. The fact that full response is maintained to the highest audible frequencies is unusual for a switchable-pattern microphone.
- omni and cardioid patterns, mechanically switchable
- slight emphasis of the high frequencies
- broad range of applications
- preferred uses similar to those of the MK 2 or MK 2S and the MK 4:
- in the cardioid setting: for use with singing or speaking voices or most instruments, as a spot microphone, and for stereo recording with coincident, ORTF or M/S microphone arrangements
- in the omni setting: for recording instruments, singers, etc. at relatively close range
In its omnidirectional setting the MK 5 is a true pressure transducer with smooth, extended low-frequency response, low sensitivity to most wind and breath noise, handling noise or mechanical vibration, and no proximity effect.
Unlike conventional, dual-diaphragm multi-pattern microphones, its cardioid setting retains its full directionality even at very low frequencies. The benefits of this design in purity and clarity of sound are immediately audible.
The MK 5 has a slight high-frequency emphasis as compared with the corresponding single-pattern omni (MK 2) and cardioid (MK 4).
Although our normal production tolerances are very close, we can deliver specially matched capsule pairs for a small extra charge.